Wednesday, August 14, 2019

My end of summer garden 2019. I was so happy with it this year.



Can you believe summer is almost over? I don’t know about all of you, but I had the weirdest, wildest spring and summer ever. According to the natives here, our small area has a wide range of weather patterns, even within a mile or two from wherever you are right now. 

As for us, it’s been mostly winter. LOL. I mean it. I think it’s the coldest, foggiest summer of my life. My neighbors a mile away wouldn't agree, but for us, it was hard to grow my flowers. Everything got black spot, mildew and bugs. Yuck. I nearly lost my mom’s roses and although the war rages on, I’ve at least made progress. I’m still not sure about the new ones I planted, though. 

I did plant gladioli this year and they’ve been amazing. I’ve grown them almost everywhere I’ve lived since Rich and I married, and I’ve never seen them grow so tall. It must be the climate here. Everything that can take the moisture and coolness grows better than average. My garden is a refuge for me, and I love to settle into it and think, write, imagine. I hate weeding--who loves it?--but I need the opportunity to clear my head and make sense of life.




In my spare time--Oh, who am I kidding? I don't have any spare time. I love hummingbirds and met a sweet lady who grows fuchsias because she wants to attract the hummingbirds. So... I’m learning to grow fuchsias and I'm now feeding hummingbirds. I became a member of the Crescent City Fuchsia Club a year ago and am doing my best to figure this amazing flower out. Here are a few pictures of those that are flowering! I’m so excited about them. 


My next couple of posts will explain more about what I mean about this being a weird, wild spring/ summer year. Life rarely turns out the way we expect it to, and I've struggled to get to the computer. I'm determined, though, and am delighted to mention that I'm close to releasing another book!












No comments:

Post a Comment